The Assistant Commercial Property Manager position will work with the building operations team to oversee and manage Downtown Development Group’s (DDG) urban and suburban Portland commercial real estate portfolio. Responsibilities include the operations and financial activities for buildings within the portfolio, nurturing strong relationships with tenants/vendors/contractors, building maintenance technician coordination and follow-up, and fiduciary responsibilities in accordance with Oregon Real Estate Statutes. The candidate should have excellent communication skills, experience in operating budget preparation, variance to budget tracking and reporting, operating expense reconciliations, and be a “team first” person with a positive attitude. The Assistant Commercial Property Manager will work with the operations team to ensure the portfolio is operating in accordance with the owner’s goals and objectives. This position will report to the Senior Commercial Property Manager.
Essential Skills & Qualifications:
- Team first person – this is a core belief of our operations team.
- At least 2 years of experience managing commercial real estate (not residential).
- Strong customer service skills, multi-tasking abilities, and attention to detail.
- Computer Skills (MS Word + Excel + Outlook are required); Yardi experience is a plus.
- Financial budgeting, tracking and monthly variance reporting.
- Vendor Relations, Tenant Relations, Insurance Certificate management, and Building maintenance technician oversight.
- Fundamental understanding of engineering/maintenance operations, building systems, and the ability to problem-solve with maintenance technicians and vendors.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university is preferred, or 5-years’ related experience in commercial real estate management.
- Pride in the curb appeal and physical condition of the properties.
Required Responsibilities: The activities listed here are not all-inclusive; rather they indicate the types of activities normally performed in this position.
- Work with the operations team on the day-to-day property management of a commercial portfolio generally located in downtown Portland and the Pearl District.
- Procure and review property bids to ensure high level of service at cost-effective rates.
- Work with team-members to make recommendations for physical repairs and/or replacements.
- Coordinate and supervise vendors and engineering staff.
- Exhibit an understanding of commercial lease agreements, operational obligations, and leasing terms.
- Ensure observance of any risk management items and mitigate, as necessary.
- Review and approve invoices and tenant’s monthly statements.
- Review monthly financial reports and provide budget variance comments.
- Prepare and monitor portfolio of operating budgets.
- Respond on an emergency basis for major problems in a timely manner, including responding to occasional after-hours calls.
- Cultivate and maintain tenant relationships; answer tenant phone calls, letters and requests for information and repairs.
The successful candidate will embody these key attributes:
- Team player, yet able to work independently.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Highly organized with solid follow-through to meet commitments and deadlines.
- Ability to react with grace and professionalism to unplanned or unexpected events at the various properties.
- High degree of professional customer service to both internal and external parties.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Capacity to lead multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.
- High standards to produce quality work is of utmost importance.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Compensation, Benefits, and Additional Job Information:
Competitive salary and compensation package, including health benefits, PTO, and 401K.
DDG is owned by the Goodman Family and has been investing in commercial property in Portland since 1955. DDG manages over 1,500,000 square feet of retail, office, storage, multifamily, and industrial real estate primarily in downtown Portland. DDG also owns and operates approximately 22 parking lots in downtown Portland. As a family business, DDG seeks people who value strong personal relationships and have a high degree of respect for fellow employees.
Location: Portland, Oregon, Central Business District
Job Type: Full-time downtown Portland
- 401(k) with ownership match (eligible after one-year of employment)
- Health, dental and vision insurance benefits
- Paid time off
- 8-hour shift, Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm
- On call as needed
Ability to commute daily to downtown Portland, Oregon is required.
This position requires physically moving to and from the downtown/Pearl District properties, ascending/descending stairs, and ladders, moving or transporting supplies, and involves outdoor exposure to weather conditions.
- Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: One base office location downtown, with most managed properties walkable from the base office location.